Student Visa Information

If you are looking to pursue graduate, or post-graduate, studies in New Zealand (NZ), and this requires a stay longer than six months, there are a few visa options to consider:

  • Fee Paying Student Visa; an option for students who want to study full time for more than three months. With this visa, you must pay all of your own course costs, have an offer in place, and proof of this offer, at the time of application, and enough money, or access to enough money, for support during your stay. With this particular visa, you are allowed to stay in NZ for up to four years, and you can study full time, work part-time (no more than 20 hours a week), and live by yourself (if you meet age requirements)
  • Exchange Student Visa; this is an option for those who have a place in an exchange programme at an educational facility in New Zealand. To obtain this visa, you must be able to prove that you are participating in an exchange, and must live outside of New Zealand. This visa can be valid for up to four years but depends entirely on the length of your exchange. With this visa, you can study full time and work part-time
  • Foreign Government Supported Student Visa; this is an option if you have a loan or scholarship from a government outside of New Zealand. You must prove that this scholarship will cover your tuition, you must have been accepted at an NZ education institute at the time of application, and you must be receiving enough money to support yourself during your stay. You can live by yourself, work part-time and study full time for up to four years upon approval for this visa

All three of these visas allow you to apply for another visa at a later date and may be applied for at any time.